• Join our Facebook Page!
  • Follow us on Twitter!
  • Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
  • Subscribe to the Wiki-Pet.com RSS feed
  • |

208 Breeds, 422 Health Conditions  |  Find a Vet

Wiki Pet - health, breeds, pets, friends!

Poisoning, Toad and Salamander View In Dogs

First Aid Condition

First aid health condition




Condition Overview

There are 2 species of poisonous toads in the United States: the Colorado River toad, found in the southwest and Hawaii - and the marine toad, found in Florida. There is one species of poisonous salamander: the California newt, found in California.


All toads, even the ones that aren't poisonous, have a bad taste. Dogs who mouth, them will slobber, spit, drool, and possibly foam. This does not necessarily mean the dog has been poisoned.

Symptoms may vary from slobbering to convulsions, blindness, and death. Puppies and small dogs are more likely to develop toxicity.


The marine toad is highly poisonous, causing death in as few as 15 minutes and the tadpoles of this species are also extremely poisonous.

The neurotoxin in the skin of the California newt is so strong that it is enough to kill most vertebrates, including humans. However, they are dangerous only if ingested, and can be safely kept as pets.

For more information about the marine toad.

For information about the Colorado River Toad.

For information about the California Newt.


Toxicity depends upon the virulence of the toad or salamander venom, the size of the dog, and the amount of the poison absorbed.


Repeatedly flush the dog's mouth using a garden hose, if the toad or salamander was indeed a poisonous breed, induce vomiting.

To induce vomiting to prevent poison absorption - Induce vomiting by giving the dog hydrogen peroxide. A 3% solution is most effective. Give 1 teaspoon (5ml) per 10 pounds (4.5kg) of body weight. Repeat every 15 - 20 minutes, up to 3 times, until the dog vomits. Walking the dog after each dose may help stimulate vomiting.

Be prepared to administer CPR. Dogs with salamander poisoning generally recover quickly.


Do not allow your pet to play with frogs or salamanders. Although it may look fun or cute to watch your dog chase a frog around the yard, it is not advisable to allow them to chase these potentially deadly creatures.


Contact your veterinarian for detailed instructions or call on of the poison hotlines listed below:

  • ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 (fee)
  • Angell Animal Poison Control Hotline 1-877-226-4355
  • Animal Poison Hotline operated by the North Shore Animal League and PROSAR International Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-232-8870

Show Sources & Contributors +


Dog Owners Home Veterinary Handbook

Publisher: Wiley Publishing, 2007

Website: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/

Authors: Debra M. Eldredge, Liisa D. Carlson, Delbert G. Carlson, James M. Giffen MD


Publisher: Wiki Media Foundation, Evolving

Website: http://www.wikipedia.org/

1 Comment For "Poisoning, Toad and Salamander"



We were hiking up a trail in the San Gabriel Mountains after a rain. My 20 pound terrier, Falkie, spotted a newt and gave it a very close sniff, there may have been contact between my pooch's nose and the newt. About 5 minutes later Falkie collapsed on the trail; he was shaking and his legs became stiff. We put him in a backpack and began the long hike out. He looked bad, glassey eyed and confused. We figured that he must have been poisoned by the newt. My fiance (brilliant woman) noticed that he was licking his face a lot so she used all our drinking water to wash off his nose. I think that saved the day by rinsing off the newt's neurotoxin. After about 30 minutes he began to act more normal and was soon kicking to get out of the bag. We put him down on the trail, he shook himself off, and was right back to his old self!

March 31, 2013 at 9:38PM  Sign In or Join to Comment