• Join our Facebook Page!
  • Follow us on Twitter!
  • Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
  • Subscribe to the Wiki-Pet.com RSS feed
  • |

208 Breeds, 422 Health Conditions  |  Find a Vet

Wiki Pet - health, breeds, pets, friends!

Cushing's Syndrome (Hyperadrenocorticism)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Condition Overview

Spontaneous Cushing's syndrome occurs primarily in middle-aged and older dogs, although dogs of all ages can be affected. Poodles, Boston Terriers, Dachshunds, and Boxers have the highest incidence. The adrenal glands are small, paired structures located just above each kidney.

Symptoms

Excess cortisone can cause hair loss over the body in a symmetric pattern, with darkening of the underlying skin. The remaining hair is dry and dull. Small blackheads may be found on the abdomen. The abdomen is pendulous (hanging), distended (bloated), and pot bellied. Other signs include lethargy with reduced activity, infertility in females, testicular atrophy and infertility in males, loss of muscle mass, and weakness. Excessive thirst and frequent urination also occur.

Dogs with hyperadrenocorticism lose body condition and develop severe problems such as hypertension, congestive heart failure, and diabetes mellitus. Other complications include increased susceptibility to infections, blood clots in the circulatory system (thromboembolism), and central nervous system signs including behavioral changes and seizures.

Causes

Cushing's syndrome is a disease caused by long-term exposure to high levels of glucocorticosteroids, either manufactured by the body or given as medications.

Tumors of the pituitary gland that secrete ACTH stimulate the adrenal glands to produce large amounts of adrenal hormones. The sustained over-production in response to pituitary stimulation accounts for 85% of cases of spontaneous Cushing's syndrome. The remaining 15% are caused by corticosteroid-producing tumors of the adrenal glands themselves.

A number of cases of Cushing's syndrome are caused by long-term therapy with drugs that contain corticosteroids. This is called iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome.

Diagnosis

The diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome is based on lab tests, especially those that measure serum cortisol concentrations before and after the injection of ACTH and dexamethasone. Advances in CT scans and MRI techniques have made it possible to visualize small tumors of the pituitary and adrenal glands. Ultrasound can also be used to measure the size and symmetry of the adrenal glands.

Treatment

Spontaneous Cushing's syndrome is treated with mitotane. The medication acts on the adrenal cortex to selectively suppress the production of glucocorticoids. The drug protocol is guarded, The average life span with medical treatment is about 2 years, although longer survival is possible.

Benign and malignant tumors of the adrenal glands caan be surgically removed in some cases. Iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome is often reversible if the causative drug can be tapered and, preferably, discontinued. If your dog is on long-term corticosteroids for a medical condition and develops signs of hyperadrenocorticism, your vet may be able to reduce the dosage or find a substitute medication.

Anipryl (deprenyl) has been approved for treating spontaneous Cushing's syndrome that originates in the pituitary gland. It appears to be effective in improving some of the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome, particularly the pets reduced activity level.

Pituitary tumors often respond to radiation therapy, but the availability of equipment is limited and the cost is high.

Prevention

There is no known prevention for this condition.

Support

Please contact your veterinarian if you think your pet may have this condition.

Show Sources & Contributors +

Sources

Dog Owners Home Veterinary Handbook

Publisher: Wiley Publishing, 2007

Website: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/

Authors: Debra M. Eldredge, Liisa D. Carlson, Delbert G. Carlson, James M. Giffen MD

0 Comments For "Cushing's Syndrome"