Poisoning, Food View In Dogs
Dogs who eat raisins and grapes are at risk for acute and possibly fatal kidney failure. Most dogs will vomit some of the raisins or grapes withing hours of eating them, but the damage may already be done. Macadamia nuts are another food that can be toxic to dogs.
Dogs suffering from grape poisoning stop eating, develop diarrhea, and become quiet with signs of abdominal pain. Eventually, the blood calcium levels go up and kidney failure follows.
Regardless of the type of poisoning experienced, the cause will always be consumption of unsafe human foods.
Diagnosis can be made by examining the evidence of the type of food ingested and the evaluation of symptoms.
If your dog has eaten raisins or grapes, induce vomiting as soon as possible and take your dog to the veterinarian. He may need to stay for fluid therapy to flush out the toxins.
To induce vomiting to prevent poison absorption give the dog hydrogen peroxide. A 3% solution is most effective. Give 1 teaspoon (5ml) per 10 pounds (4.5kg) of body weight. Repeat every 15 - 20 minutes, up to 3 times, until the dog vomits. Walking the dog after each dose may help stimulate vomiting.
If your dog has ingested onions, induce vomiting and follow that with activated charcoal.
DO NOT feed your pets human foods. This is the best way to guarantee your don't accidentally poison your great pet. Premium pet foods include human grade ingredients are manufactured specific to the nutritional needs of you the modern pet.
Show Sources & Contributors +