Mouth Burns View In Dogs
Chemical burns of the mouth are common. They are caused by licking a corrosive substance such as lye, phenol, phosphorus, household cleaners, or alkalis. If the dog swallowed the chemical, her esophagus or stomach may also be burned.
When corrosive household chemicals are ingested, they cause burns of the mouth, esophagus, and stomach.
For emergency treatment of oral chemical burns, sponge and rinse the mouth with lots of tap water. Transport the dog as quickly as possible to the nearest veterinary clinic for treatment of poisoning.
Do not induce vomiting. Vomiting can result in rupture of the stomach and burns of the esophagus. After rinsing the dogs mouth, and if you are unable to get to the vet very quickly, give the dog water or milk (30ml per 6lbs or 2.7kg of body weight) by plastic syringe or turkey baster. This is used to dilute the acid or alkali in the stomach.
NOTE: The practice of giving an acid to neutralize an alkali and vice versa is no longer recommended because it causes heat injury to the tissues.
Keep all household chemicals out of reach for any dogs and children in the household.
The aftercare for burns of the mouth:
Show Sources & Contributors +